The Adams County Historical Society was organized in 1972 and received its 501 (C) 3 classification in 1974.
The Adams County Museum opened in 1987, occupying the former golf clubhouse located at the Adams County Fairgrounds.Over the years, the museum grew beyond a single building into the complex it is today – housing the History Museum & Office, Cultural Center, a replica one-room schoolhouse, a replica 1930’s Conoco Station, a working Blacksmith Shop, a firehouse, a restored 1887 two-story Victorian House, and a 1920 railroad caboose.
The 120-foot by 60-foot Hoffman Hall has several exhibits, including an actual jail cell from the old Adams County Jail, a printing press, Western gear and tack (including a saddle used by President Teddy Roosevelt), vintage housewares, antique tools and medical equipment.
The property also features a Japanese Garden, sundial, sculptures, windmill, gazebo and a Howe Farm Scale.
ACHS is governed by a nine-member board of directors. They are just a few of the many dedicated volunteers who help keep this nonprofit operating.
Our funding mainly comes from the Scientific & Cultural Facilities District (SCFD) and our annual fundraisers, which would not be possible without our volunteers!